Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Anne Frank Memorial - Boise, Idaho




I stopped by the Anne Frank Memorial in Boise, Idaho on the lone way back to my hotel room. It is an emotional experience to stand amidst such thought and tribulation. Here are some of the mural's quotes:

"Believe me, of you have been shut up for a year and a half...Cycling, dancing, whistling, looking out into the world, feeling young, to know that I;m free--that;s what I long for..."
-Anne Frank

"Here, root yourself beside me.
I am the tree planted by the river
Which will not be moved.
I, the Rick, I, the River, I, the Tree
I am yours--your passages have been paid.
Lift up your faces, you have a piercing need
For the bright morning dawning for you.
History, despite its wrenching pain,
Cannot be unlived, but if faced
With courage, need not be lived again
-Maya Angelou "On the Pulse of Morning"

"It's never too late to give up your prejudices."
-Henry David Theroux

"It's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
-Emilio Zapatas

"I have fought against white dominion, and I have fought against black dominion. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons shall live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and achieve. But, if need be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."
-Nelson Mandela

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world."



"We dedicate this tree to freedom, which grows best when planted deep and nurtured by all."
-Trus Joist

No comments: